Call Bomb Disposal!

Great excitement at the site this week. I raked up a 'bomb'. Well, something that was suspiciously bomb-like and therefore quite alarming.
I was tackling the dust bowl left by the weekend's excavation. Work on site will take a summer break before the proper build begins in September, so I was making the garden more summer-friendly by clearing stones and reseeding the lawn. I'd just begun raking when an object I thought was a root flipped over on the soil. I was about to yank it out and throw it in to the wheelbarrow with all the other roots until something made me paused. I had a bad feeling. 
A root is not metallic. A root does not bulge in the middle. A root doesn't have a perfectly smooth collar at one end. A root doesn't rust.
The bad feeling grew.
Better to be safe than sorry, I thought.
I called the police...
... who also thought it was suspicious. They emailed pictures. The recipient also thought it was suspicious. Mortar or cocktail shaker? Better to be safe than sorry. Warn the neighbours not to go in their gardens and call Bomb Disposal...
...who arrived (blue lights and sirens all the way from Aldershot) and took a look. They didn't know what it was either. After picking it up (carefully), peering at it, x-raying it and finally cleaning it up with a wire brush...
... It was decided that it WASN'T a bomb or a mortar or even a cocktail shaker. It was probably part of an electric motor.
Better to be safe than sorry, they said.
The cops were really disappointed. They were hoping for a controlled explosion!

Comments