Skip to main content

Pop Up Hackney

East London is full to bursting with authors this week. It's an event called Pop Up Hackney and I was at Clapton Girls Academy this morning to talk with year 7s. It was one of my best workshops EVER!
The pupils had already read my book, Graphic, and I suspect they actually knew the story better than I did. We chatted about drawing and how I started writing. They seemed to like my illustrations but the girls pulled faces when I showed them some of the comedy horror books. Clapton girls are not fond of flies, spiders, slime and squished ghost 10-year-olds!
They asked me some excellent questions, particularly about how to get better at drawing. Here is a link to my 10,000 Hours blog for the answer. http://girlsheartbooks.com/2014/02/16/10000-hours/
We then tackled 'what we would draw if our drawings became real' (which was more of an opportunity to draw cats and cool fashion - always My fave activity) and here are some of the results...
I have always wanted to have a pair of wings (it would make travelling so much easier) so this is what I drew...

...and one of the pupils kindly offered to colour it in for me. I think I should give her a job as my assistant.
Before I left I was delighted by a surprise presentation - they had made a card/book with me on the front...
...and their own awesome portraits inside. They'd all signed it too. I've NEVER be given anything so fabulous! Thank you girls! xxxxx
One last picture. On my way from the station I happened to glance upward and saw this...
...cool, huh?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jumping at my desk about Ember

It seems my first ever book is still being discovered and enjoyed by new readers. This makes me very happy indeed, as you can probably imagine.
This week I was sent a 'Book Report' by a chap called Dexter (aged 9 and 3/4) and was delighted to see that he had chosen to write about Ember Fury. Turns out Dexter is a pretty good author himself. The report was really well written and I was pleased to hear that all my favourite bits of Ember Fury are Dexter's too. Instead of focussing on Ember's attention-seeking fire-starting or the crazy desert car chase with Finn, Dexter chose the scene where Em gave the chauffeur the slip and ended up in the comic book store as his fave (which was, incidentally, the best scene to write).
His favourite character was Ned, whom I ADORE too, almost more than Ember (shhh, don't tell her!). Dexter also liked my drawings and said they were 'amazing' which made me jump up and down at my desk (Dangerous as I'd just made a hot mug…

2017! Yay!

Happy New Year! Lots happening in 2017, particularly in the next few weeks, so I'm a little too busy to blog. I'll be back soon to update you on the launch of 'Electrigirl & the Invisible Thieves' in May, my exciting museum project, my next illustration commission for Barrington Stoke and two new spooky book projects I'm hoping to complete and submit later this year, one for 7-11s and one for YA/adults. C U L8R alligator...

Surrey Artists' Open Studios

What a glorious weekend!
The spectacular weather has really shown off my new studio. The light has been wonderful, the perfect gallery space. The garden looks pretty great too. I've been asked for contact details of my landscaper, Jeff Roots, by LOADS of people and then yesterday he turned up with his family to see the fruits of all his hard work (and my planting, obvs!)

I had lots of visitors over the first two days and can't wait 'till next Saturday. I'll be open 11am - 5pm on the 11th, 12th, 18th & 19th June, so come along if you can. www.surreyopenstudios.org.ukClick HERE for details of all the other studios, maps and trails.