I was given a couple of great bits of advice when I was at college. One was that artists tend to spend more time pitching for work and advertising themselves than actually being artists. I soon learned that this was true and luckily (having been warned) I'd prepared myself for all the cold-calling, art editor shmoozing and endless fee negotiations.
They were right and I did. I still do.
That's why I now have an extraordinarily full diary this summer. I've been saying 'yes' ALOT. Here's what is on my to do list before school resumes in September...
* Finish writing my fourth teen novel (it's half done but I've promised to deliver the completed MS by the start of the hols)
* Edit my fourth teen novel
* Illustrations for my fourth teen novel (and probably some cover image ideas too)
* Page layouts for my fourth teen novel
* Illustrations for two books written by other people
* Cover artwork for two books written by other people
* Write a short(er) book for Barrington Stoke
* Illustrations for a short(er) book for Barrington Stoke
(these last two actually aren't due until next year but no doubt I'll begin work on them now)
* Finishing a video for my US publisher
* Blogging, Tweeting and Facebooking about Scarlett Dedd being published in US (in August)
* Blogging for GirlsHeartBooks
AND I'm talking to a local school about possibly doing some murals for their English corridor!!!!! Phew!
So, I'm going to be awfully busy, but it's all stuff I simply LOVE doing and won't mind a bit if I'm typing or painting through the night. As long as I make sure I take a few days off to rest and enjoy this glorious weather, I expect it's going to be a perfectly marvelous summer.